[OM] Re: [OT] A very peculiar exposure problem

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A very peculiar exposure problem
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:33:48 -0400

AG Schnozz wrote:

> Making the assumption that the A1 was set in manual exposure
> mode...  Hmm.  You know, this reminds me of an oddity with the
> A-series... Hang on...
>
> Ok, here goes:
>
> 1. Under Shooting Menu #4, make sure AE Lock is set to "Off".

AE lock was "Off"

> 2. Under Shooting Menu #3, set the Monitor Amplification to
> "Normal",

Monitor amplifications was and is set to "Auto"

[3.]  Manual Exposure is set to "Display Priority" when
> using non-dedicated flash equipment, "Exposure Priority" when
> not using flash

Is set to "Display Priority"

> Strange, I know, but it works.  There is a wierd "feature" about
> the AE Lock function and external flash equipment when shooting
> in manual mode.  I've got other recommended settings posted on
> my website for the A1.
>
> As to polorization, I've tested this with my A1 and haven't
> experienced anything unusual other than the delay in the display
> updating which makes it slightly more difficult to adjust a
> polorizer.

I'm not really sure what you're driving at here.  With AE lock off and
the camera in manual mode I should be getting the exposure I asked for.
  The other settings might affect the brightness of the display but
shouldn't affect the actual exposure or the resulting histogram.  And
the comparative histograms do match what one sees on the screen.  Am I
missing something?

ps:  I've printed off your recommended settings and will study that later.

Thanks,
Chuck Nrocutt