[OM] Re: Velvia 100?

Subject: [OM] Re: Velvia 100?
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:57:43 -0500
Good judgment. In the great wild world of commercial photography, Fuji has
the inside track, with good reason. (I really like the Kodak portra films
when I need prints, but Fuji has it for chromes.) The gold standard for
publications is this: Velvia is perfect for landscapes and products where
the exceptionally vivid colors are important. Provia is it when more neutral
color but a bit of punch is required, usually where Kodachrome was king.
Astia is the king of absolutely neutral colors with normal contrast is
required. If I were using chrome and shooting models (normally I think one
of the other Bills should shoot models with a handgun) or other conditions
where contrast needs to be under control and colors absolutely neutral and
not enhanced.

I've heard good comments about the G series Ektachromes, but I don't know
anyone who uses it. Frankly, this is just another misstep that those of us
that have been in the business most of our lives expect. It's just a lot
more expensive, and the eluxive "Kodak man" is always more than a phone call
away.

Whatever we may think (I'm going to be in a real problem when kodak
discontinues Plus X and Tri X), Kodak's decision to concentrate on digital
is just another way to loose money. They apparently could have made a
killing on chromes (There's still guys that swear by EPR), but gave it away.

Bill Pearce