[OM] Re: OM Zuiko to Digital Adapter

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Zuiko to Digital Adapter
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:31:57 -0400
On 9/28 John Hermanson posted that the adapter (item no. 260231) would
no longer be available for free but would be sold starting in October
for an estimated street price of under $100.  John said he would sell
them to list members when they become available for an estimated $89.

All OM mount lenses (Olympus or 3rd party) should work photographically
with the adapter.  There's nothing mystical about the adapter.  It is
essentially nothing but a short, manual extension tube.  The warnings
about certain lenses and apertures have to do with metering errors that
tend to occur near min and max aperture on digital bodies.  Some have
speculated that the angle of incidence of light rays (which would vary
with aperture) affects the exposure sensors.  A smart digital body in
communication with its smart autofocus lens would be able to correct for
this.  The OM mount lenses, being rather deaf and dumb, fail to communicate.

Moose has posted about this same phenomenon when attaching OM lenses to
his Canon 300D.  Each lens needs to be tested for metering errors and it
is presumably the results of this testing that Oly has posted.  However,
they've never said exactly why lens X should not be used at aperture Y.
  If you know that lens A is off by 2/3 stop at f/2.8 and 1/3 stop at
f/4 then you either meter and shoot at f/5.6 or above or you meter at
f/5.6 and apply a correction for your actual shooting aperture or you
meter at the shooting aperture and apply a correction known to you via
testing.

Chuck Norcutt