[OM] Re: Indian flash slaves - where's Tim?

Subject: [OM] Re: Indian flash slaves - where's Tim?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:25:27 -0700
I used a couple T32s with the Sonia slave adapters. They worked just fine. I
actually like them more than the Wein slave I bought at a local store, a
couple months ago. The cosmetics aren't first rate (light sanding marks show
through paint, plastic cap on sensor not always glued on straight) but I'm
very happy with them.

I'm probably going to get a couple short cables so that I can mount the
sensor away from the slave. It will give me some more flexibility
positioning the flash. In one instance I shot down a hall towards an empty
bedroom. The slave was positioned out of view but triggered on the light
that reached the room and bounced off the back wall towards the hidden
slave. In another instance the distance was shorter but the empty room was
partially obscured. Not enough light got into the room to trip the slave
when it was positioned out of view. A cable on the sensor would have solved
that. For what I expect to be doing, the Sonia slave adapters seem to be the
best choice that I've seen.

I still haven't figured out a way to deal with 3200K room light mixed with
the ~5500K strobe light. I've seen some expensive photo flood lights that
will take either 3200K or 5500K compact fluorescent bulbs.

I also haven't had time to find out why the cable between my T32s wouldn't
work. Hopefully the computer problems are behind me for a few days and I'll
have some time tonight and tomorrow. I'll play with an ohm meter and the
slave shoes to see if I can tell anything about the different connections.

-jeff