[OM] Re: This Resolution Business

Subject: [OM] Re: This Resolution Business
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:21:30 -0300
On 9/18/05, Parzival Herzog <parzp@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> What your editor is looking for, is an image that is sized (in pixels) such
> that when printed at 300dpi, it will have at least the desired publication
> size. Your "300 dpi" setting in the jpeg file is irrelevant, as it is only
> asuggestion which can and will be changed by the people composing the
> publication using your pixel data.

This is all true but never forget that many people have no clue when
it comes to resolution so make sure you've set it all correctly for
the dpi and the print dimensions they want.

I say this because I hear people make statements about resolution that
leave out significant parts of the important information. For
instance, a lot of people will tell you that you can't use jpegs you
get off the internet for high-quality printing (aside from copyright
issues) because they're only at 72 dpi. Yes, this is frequently the
case but it's really a question of how many pixels you have in those
images. There are places on the internet where you can find high pixel
count images that are suitable for printing. Or the reverse situation
I've heard has been some online galleries rejecting or automatically
resizing images because they're more than 72dpi and would be "too
big". As others have stated, that setting just says what dimensions to
print the image at. A 1x1 pixel image is not larger because it's set
to 300dpi instead of 72dpi.

So in summary, find out what dimensions they want to print the image
at and make sure your image has been set to fit those dimensions at
300dpi before you submit the photo.