[OM] Re: Analog Zuiko Lens tests on the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Zuiko Lens tests on the E-1
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:42:36 -0400
AG Schnozz who swings both ways wrote:

>Earl The Analog wrote:
>

>>I find these results helpful and very interesting.
>>I'm more and more thinking that, superwides aside,
>>the biggest problem one would encouter with OM lenses on an
>>E thingy is metering and perhaps wide open.
>>
>>Thanks for posting this, even though it sucks me further
>>toward digi .... AAARGH!
>>

>Due to the increased magnification (2X crop factor) of the 4/3
>sensor, you do get some variations on what works and what
>doesn't.  For instance, the 100/2.8, of which I've bragged about
>the bokeh forever, doesn't work quite as well on the E-1 as
>there are very tiny donuts in the OOF highlights which show up
>on digital which are not present in film--no matter how closely
>you look.  These donuts are subtle, but present.  Why?  I'm not
>sure, but I'm thinking that I'm actually encountering aliasing
>artifacts with the sensor.  Further testing will reveal what
>distances and F-stops these happen at.

Too bad, but I wouldn't use a 200mm (equivalent) lens that much anyway.
Maybe the 85mm would fare better.  Whatever, I'd be more interested in
the bokeh performance of the 50/1.4 or 50/1.2.  Very fast lenses for
portraiture to better tame the DOF issue of the smaller sensor.

>As to further "look and feel" issues, I'm intruiged by the
>35/2.8. It has a beautiful, linear, feel to the bokeh and it
>produces outstanding images on either film or digital.

That is intriguing, especially since there is no 70mm OM system lens
(outside of zooms), i.e. it's an interesting focal length on the E-1.
Not sure it would be something I'd use a lot, but yesterday I was at a
wedding and put the 100mm on the OM-1n to do some casual
head-and-shoulders isolation shots of guests during the reception.  It
was a bit too long for some shots.  Yes, I could have moved back, but
these were quick grab shots, and I would have missed the shot.  I often
find myself wanting a prime in the 65-80mm range.  Even when I had an M3
with a 90, I was often wishing for a 75mm.

>What about exposure issues?  Well, yes, your exposures outside
>the F4-F8 range will be a bit off.  How far off depends on the
>lens used and the position of the brightness in the image.
>However, if you look at the lens tests you'll see that F5.6-F8
>is the sharpest anyway, so unless you are needing to shoot
>wide-open or closed all the way down, you'll be fine.
>
>When in doubt, I take a picture and view the histogram and make
>exposure adjustments as necessary.  Think of it as a "proof
>shot".  Once this is done, I may use manual exposure mode to
>lock in for a sequence of shots.
>
>One obversation about using silvernosed lenses on the E-1.  Do
>not use auto-white-balance.  There is a yellowing tint to most
>of these older lenses and the AWB algorithm rarely gets it
>right.
>
>Earl, the prices of E-thingies continue to drop.  I suspect that
>in a few more months the prices of E-300s will be silly low.
>Once they get low enough there will be little reason to not get
>one to supplement the OM bodies.  Hang in there, but remember,
>even Walt tossed in the towel.

That's what I was thinking.  And I've got a brace of Vivitar 283s to go
with either system.  :-D

Of course, there's always the siren song of the ZI RF and its digital
follow-on, or an updated Epson R-Dx to worry about.  Sorry to be
blasphemous.

Earl