[OM] Re: Analog Zuiko Lens tests on the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Zuiko Lens tests on the E-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:35:09 -0400

AG Schnozz wrote:

> I've just been working on some lens testing of my various
> Olympus lenses on the E-1.
>
> Using the USAF line-pair test chart, I photographed it using my
> collection of lenses using the same chart-size (filling the
> viewfinder).  I had the chart taped to the side of my house in
> direct sunlight and used every common F-stop from F4-F22 (if the
> lens supported it). In a couple of instances, I did also do a
> wide-open test.
>
> I was a touch lazy in the summer heat and just used a monopod,
> but the shutter speeds never dropped below 1/250, so I was
> pretty safe.  Aperture priority exposure mode.  If I feel like
> doing this again, I'll use a tripod.  Also, I used JPEG HQ mode
> with +2 sharpening. No halos visible.  In comparative testing,
> I've found an increase of about one line pair when shooting RAW.
> So these measurements are relative to a best possible in JPEG HQ
> mode.
>
> First things first.  The DZ 14-54 lens is as good if not better
> than any of my prime lenses when it comes to sharpness and
> contrast.  Therefore, there really is no gain to shoot with the
> prime lenses in any focal length the DZ covers.  However,
> distortion, and symmetry is a touch better with the old Zuikos.
> There are other issues at play too, but for pure resolution, the
> DZ 14-54 is outstandng.  I'll get into specifics on the website
> where I'll post samples of each focal length and aperture, but
> I'm summarizing here with my comments.
>
> A measurement of -1 LP means that it resolved one less line-pair
> from the best image possible (in this test).  As no lens or
> setting exceeded my best possible, I believe I hit the AA filter
> and process engine limits.  -2 LP would be two line-pairs less.
> For a point of comparison, the limit is the sixth "6" LP in my
> test chart.

Interesting stuff and nice to know that the 14-54 and modern lens technology
really is better (at least in some respects) than the old stuff.  But I didn't
undertand the last sentence above ("the limit is the sixth, etc.") and I was
expecting to find the base line resolution from which all these -1 and -2
deltas
were meaured.  What don't I understand or what did I miss?

Chuck Norcutt