[OM] Re: Analog Zuiko Lens tests on the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Zuiko Lens tests on the E-1
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:25:02 -0700 (PDT)
Earl The Analog wrote:
> I find these results helpful and very interesting.
> I'm more and more thinking that, superwides aside,
> the biggest problem one would encouter with OM lenses on an
> E thingy is metering and perhaps wide open.
>
> Thanks for posting this, even though it sucks me further
> toward digi .... AAARGH!

Due to the increased magnification (2X crop factor) of the 4/3
sensor, you do get some variations on what works and what
doesn't.  For instance, the 100/2.8, of which I've bragged about
the bokeh forever, doesn't work quite as well on the E-1 as
there are very tiny donuts in the OOF highlights which show up
on digital which are not present in film--no matter how closely
you look.  These donuts are subtle, but present.  Why?  I'm not
sure, but I'm thinking that I'm actually encountering aliasing
artifacts with the sensor.  Further testing will reveal what
distances and F-stops these happen at.

As to further "look and feel" issues, I'm intruiged by the
35/2.8. It has a beautiful, linear, feel to the bokeh and it
produces outstanding images on either film or digital.

What about exposure issues?  Well, yes, your exposures outside
the F4-F8 range will be a bit off.  How far off depends on the
lens used and the position of the brightness in the image.
However, if you look at the lens tests you'll see that F5.6-F8
is the sharpest anyway, so unless you are needing to shoot
wide-open or closed all the way down, you'll be fine.

When in doubt, I take a picture and view the histogram and make
exposure adjustments as necessary.  Think of it as a "proof
shot".  Once this is done, I may use manual exposure mode to
lock in for a sequence of shots.

One obversation about using silvernosed lenses on the E-1.  Do
not use auto-white-balance.  There is a yellowing tint to most
of these older lenses and the AWB algorithm rarely gets it
right.

Earl, the prices of E-thingies continue to drop.  I suspect that
in a few more months the prices of E-300s will be silly low.
Once they get low enough there will be little reason to not get
one to supplement the OM bodies.  Hang in there, but remember,
even Walt tossed in the towel.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com