[OM] Re: Scott's totally subjective 'new E-1' report [windy]

Subject: [OM] Re: Scott's totally subjective 'new E-1' report [windy]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:20:10 -0400
Eh?  I will certainly agree with you that there is a difference in
distance between a subject at the center of the field (10 feet away) and
another subject on the same plane 5 feet to the side.  In this case the
trig tells us that the distance to the subject at the side of the frame
is 11.2 feet.

However, if I choose the subject at the side of the frame as my focus
point the camera will be focused at 11.2 feet.  If I then reframe to
incorporate a subject on the same plane and directly in front of me the
subject directly in front will be at 10 feet and 1.2 feet ahead of the
plane of focus.  But the original (and presumably main) subject is still
at 11.2 feet and still in precise focus.  If I wanted the center subject
in focus that's where I should have focused in the first place while
recognizing that the DOF has a better chance of incorporating the
subject 11.2 feet away since the DOF is greater behind the plane of
focus.  Or I should be more careful and check the DOF to be sure.

So, I disagree with the premise you started with and the math of your
correspondent.  Did I miss something?

Chuck Norcutt