[OM] Re: [OM][OT] Bicycle advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] Bicycle advice
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:30:11 -0600
Andrew Dacey wrote:
> My understanding is that with a hard seat your weight is
> carried by your "sit bones" but with a squishy seat your bones sink in
> and your weight is also carried by your soft tissue which isn't good.

  You're entirely correct there -- I've tried riding bikes with big gel
pads on the seats and they're (imho) horrible, I much prefer something
more solid. Say, for instance, this:

http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

 > With the seat I'm talking about my weight would still be carried by my
 > bones but I'd have a little bit of suspension in the seat to take out
 > some of the bumps in the road.

  Springs under the saddle are a good way to take the 'sting' out a bit
-- if you can't find a saddle that does what you want, then you can also
get suspension seatposts which have the same effect.

  -- dan