[OM] Re: [OM][OT] Bicycle advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] Bicycle advice
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:01:09 -0700
Tires - Flat tires can make commuting a pain. Unfortunately where I am there
seems to be plenty of broken glass. The newer Kevlar belted tires seem to
help noticeably. If you're content to order over the internet and keep a
spare or two, size may not be too important. If you rely on local bike shops
check out what they have and how much it costs. Tire availability could
influence your rim size, brakes, and frame. Bike shops used to carry small
wire+plastic tubing "tire savers" that basically lightly rubbed against the
tire, flicking off small pieces of glass etc. You'll probably have to make
your own if you use fenders. (plastic tubing lightly holds a wire against
the tire, the tubing provides the flexibility)

Fat mountain bike tires can't be inflated to high pressures without
overloading the rim. High pressure tires roll much easier. I've never had
tires that are immune to thorns. Most mountain bike tires are pretty
resistant to glass.

Carry a pump and patch kit. Some tires are pretty immune to flats but you
don't want to be stuck. Some rims have reinforcement that makes changing
tires difficult.

Good luck,
-jeff