[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:44:02 -0300
On 7/27/05, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My wedding packages include a proof book. The LOWEST cost per
> print I've ever had for quality proofs from film were $0.50
> each.  With digital, these costs can be as low as $0.20 if I do
> multiples on an 8.5x11 page through my own printer using bulk
> ink.  Where I shot 250 for the average wedding with a total
> film/processing/proof cost of $1.25 per shot, my digital costs
> are now around $0.20 per shot for about 400 shots. Not including
> CD-ROM storage.  Rounding up and including a proof book, my hard
> costs per wedding are $100 with digital compared to $300 for the
> film based wedding.
[snip]

Thanks for that info AG (as well as the other in-depth cost analysis
that I snipped for length). Not being a paid photographer myself, but
being at the cusp of going, "gee I wonder if there's a way I could get
some money coming from my photos?", it's handy to see how the costs
break down.

I think a lot of the discussion about "digital savings" depends on the
type of work you do as a pro. If your costs are mainly film and
processing then digital can save you a lot of money (depending on the
volume of shooting you do). Of course this also depends on your
comptuer needs and what you already have. For instance, I like to do a
lot of graphics work and already have a very capable computer system
(dual 2ghz G5 with 23" Cinema screeen, 2.5gb of ram) so when I move to
digital (I'm 28, it's not really a question of "if" for me) that's  a
cost that I've arleady covered. For those who would need to get a new
system it's definitely something to factor into the equation.

If a lot of your costs are associated with proofing (such as doing
weddings as you mention) then digital isn't going to offer you much
(if any) savings.

I know my photo instructor shoots a huge volume for the work he does
and doesn't need to do a lot of proofs, I think he had his F*j* S3
paid off within a couple months due to the savings in film and
processing (he was spending over $1000/month on film and processing
before).