[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: Der Eiserne Reiter <ferider@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
I am still using film.

Every so often I play with the idea of going digital.

The two things that prevent me are price and size. I am surprised that
I see rarely comments on these two aspects. Not that I have not spent
a lot of money on photo equipment.  But I simply do not want to
carry a body that costs more than US 1000. Let's say you travel
to Moscow, Tanzania, or even down-town East Palo Alto. Do you really
want to carry this ? At the current prices one can get a
used/excellent 28/3.5, 50/3.5, 80/2, OM-1 combination for around
500-600 US.

The other day I played with an E-300 in our local store. It feels
very much like plastic and it is HUGE. I do not understand why anybody
would compare this camera to an Olympus PEN, or even to an OM-1
in terms of size or built quality.

I understand that professionals might need the digital throughput
and can afford the investment (and re-investment, via depreciation, etc).
I am a week-end warrior however, and always amused by the sheer
physical size of the equipment that amateurs carry around (with pride).

Plus, as a personal challenge, I am trying to do less and better photos.
I cann't see that happening would I use a digital camera.

My wife shoots digital. For her upcoming birthday she got a Lumix FZ5.
No that is a small camera !

I am also still wondering how a lens can possibly resolve more than
5 MPixels on a frame smaller than full format. Am I misreading
MTF charts ?

Just wondering ...

Roland.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs