[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:33:51 -0500
Quoting Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> To quote - When I am out in the field photographing, I
> enter what for me is
> a 'sacred space.'  By this, I mean that I do not want to
> be disturbed in
> the field by the technology of the camera. Rather, I want
> to feel free,
> open to the moment and absorbed by the beauty of the view
> in front of me.

I like that "sacred space" phrase.

I don't have any problem getting there with a digital
camera.

The one thing that is certainly different is the follow up
time to the shot spent with a digital SLR confirming that
one has indeed captured the shot that one had visualized.
But contrary to common perception, chimping merely tells
you if the end result is in some kind of acceptable zone.
The feeling of capture is closer to shooting film and just
knowing it's "in the can" than you would think.

One doesn't get to the sacred space without having learned
the equipment well enough to work with it as a sort of
second nature.  You have to learn everything you need to
know to work an OM-1, and you have to learn some more, but
it gets to be second nature and it doesn't come between the
scene and your brain.  If you think it will, that's OK and
it's to be expected.  But it doesn't.  Add anything new at
any time, and it threatens you, but you will get over it
and get back to capturing light, same as before.

Joel W.