[OM] Re: Confession time...

Subject: [OM] Re: Confession time...
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:20:09 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/2005 3:22:27 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The  article crystallized it for me beautifully.  For 30 years I have got by
with my OM-1, her and I have produced some magnificent photos (she's now
touring the world on the Olympus Odyssey).

No flashing lights or  menus.  I just attach a Zuiko to the front and I
enter that 'sacred  space' without even thinking about it.  There's no
technology in my  camera to get in the way.

I don't know why I have been tempted by the  dark side.

Never say, never.

On my list of "to do" things in my life is to own a Studebaker Big 6
automobile from the 1920's.  In its day, perhaps the cats meow.  Today  it is
still a
 means of transportation and joy to the collector,  however I would not want
to drive it on our modern highways.  That is no  way, takes away from its
value when it was built or its value today . . .  it only acknowledges that
time
and technology march on, with or without our  approval or participation.

To say that the transition to digital is a "walk in the park" would not be
telling the truth.  We share something many on this list don't share . . .
having had the good fortune to have experienced many changing of the  seasons.
say that I prepare to celebrate my 61st birthday next  week.  Having not
grown up with computers, the addition of  digital to my photography has caused
me
many frustrations.  That being  said, it has also opened many doors, one of
which is that of "creative  freedom".  For me there is something about the
immediate feedback and "no  cost" capture which has activated a freedom of
expression with my photography  that didn't exist previously.

The nice thing about digital is that it is not an either/or  situation.  I
have many cameras and only one is digital.  My most  recent purchases have been
old simple box and pinhole cameras which I am  using.  The truth, for me, is
that the camera is but a tool with which I  express myself.  The digital
camera, like the power saw, is a useful  tool.   My tool box continues to
change to
facilitate and reflect the  work I am doing.  Never say, never. Bill Barber