[OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:31:05 -0700
The way I understand it is that all printer hardware requires a
certain native resolution and that their drivers will resize the
image, automatically and unseen, to that resolution before sending to
the printer. It is separate from any adjustments in Photoshop. Low
resolution, and the driver upsizes and high resolution it downsizes.
If you are going to let the printer driver do this then the best
results are obtained if it receives an image with a resolution that
is an even factor of the native. For instance with an Epson printer
which is supposed to have a 360dpi native resolution what you should
give it is that or 180 dpi or 120 or 90, with the image dimensions
specified in the printer dialogue, for the driver to do its best job
preparing the file for the printer hardware.

That said, a driver is a little program thrown in for free. Resizing
to its native resolution is best done in something more capable like
Photoshop before you print. All this stuff is a little like casting
runes though.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA