[OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:50:25 -0300
On 7/21/05, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I sure don't understand "prefers images to be at 400 dpi".

I did some looking as I had a suspicion that someone may have been
confusing the printer's print resolution (dpi) with how many pixels
you need for the size image you want (ppi).

If anyone's not clear on the distinction then check my article on the
difference between dpi and ppi:

http://www.tildefrugal.net/photo/dpi.php

So, I checked Agfa's site and saw that the specs do indeed state that
the printer prints at "400ppi". Note that they've messed up their
terminology and this should be dpi but in this case we're dealing with
continuous tone so you can at least get 1 pixel for every dot.

I suspect somewhere along the lines this spec has been mis-translated
to be that the printer prefers the images to be at 400ppi or that the
best results are achieved at 400ppi.

I've done tabloid size (11x17) posters at as low as 150ppi and didn't
notice issues (although this was on a colour laser and the quality
wasn't great for other reasons so I may not have been able to
adequately evaluate the print).

Now depending on the printer and it's software, certain lower ppi
settings may look better than others. I'd probably start with 200ppi
since that's an even fraction of the printer's resolution.