[OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:43:28 -0400
Robert Swier wrote:

> Some time ago, I warmed up to the idea of buying one of the Olympus
> professional digital cameras. However, 5MP is not enough for large
> prints at 300dpi. I'm looking forward to picking up one of the
> subsequent E-1 versions, but frankly I'm getting tired of waiting. Is
> there a consensus as to when the E-2/E-3 might be available?

I've been assuming that Olympus will likely show a new camera at the PMA
Fall Conference and Mini Trade Show in San Diego in early September.
After all, it's been a long, long time (in the digital world) since the
E-1 was announced.  However, the application cutoff date for exhibitors
is rapidly approaching and Olympus is still not shown as attending so I
think I'm going to be disappointed.

But I'm curious about your 300 dpi criterion.  I'm sure there are E-1
owners here who will attest to making wonderful 16x20 or even larger
prints from the E-1.  Good interpolation software and clean digitial
images make wonderful prints at 150 dpi.  A friend even has a beautiful
advertising poster of 24x36 made from a 3 MP image from a C*n*n D30.
It's a head and shoulders portrait of his young daughter holding her
cat.  The hair on the cat is unbelieveably sharp even though the real
resolution of this print is only about 60 dpi.  But, at 24x36, the print
is not meant to be viewed at 10".

 From Kodak's site on the 4/3 sensor specifications we can see that they
consider (as best I recall) about 12MP to be the resolution design limit
for four thirds lenses.  My guess is that the next sensor will be 10MP
to be competitive but won't come out until they have better control of
noise.  But even at 10MP you can't make a print larger than 9x12 at 300 dpi.

Chuck Norcutt