[OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3

Subject: [OM] Re: Best guess for arrival of E-2/E-3
From: Robert Swier <robert.swier@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:30:47 -0400
Thanks for the comments and responses. I shouldn't have asked a
question and then walked away from the computer for a few hours!

Here's the calculation I did:

The E-1 produces images with size 2560 x 1920.

I like to make prints at a local lab that uses an AgfaPhoto
d-lab.2plus printer, which prefers images to be at 400dpi, and I feel
comfortable going down to around 300dpi.

So, dividing the resolution above by 300dpi, you get an image that's
8.5" x 6.4". That seems pretty small.

If the next camera was at 10MP, then it would produce images with a
size of about 3651 x 2737. Dividing by 300dpi gives 12" x 9", which is
better. (I see that Chuck mentioned this.)

I know that prints can be made at lower resolution than 300dpi, and
that software can produce larger images at "higher" resolution by
placing fake (well, calculated) pixels in between the real ones, but I
like to work with the original pixels as much as possible, and like I
said, I don't really like to go below 300dpi for a print. I usually
hang images at eye level, and intend them to be viewed closely.

Almost everything I shoot is with OM bodies, a tripod, and Fuji Velvia
50. I usually make prints by scanning the negative and adjusting in
Photoshop before sending the image to the lab.

I've never, actually, gotten ahold of some sample output of the E-1.
Well, I've seen jpegs, but nothing uncompressed. If anyone would like
to post a tiff online, or point me to where one already is, I'd be
greatful. It doesn't have to be a good photograph--just something that
I could adjust and print, to judge the quality myself. Preferably,
something taken with one of the high-end lenses, the lowest ISO
setting, and a tripod.

As someone commented earlier, maybe I should be thinking of something
bigger than four-thirds if I want large prints.  I see the Canon 1Ds
produces 11" x 16" prints at 300dpi. I do have a slightly irrational
attachment to Olympus though...

Robert Swier
Toronto, Canada