[OM] Re: OT - Buy an old camera with film sill inside

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Buy an old camera with film sill inside
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:01:10 +1000
ScottGee1 asked:
> > Intriguing!  Anyone know where the pix were made?

AG replied:
>Italy, New York harbor, unknown US locations.  Time?  Looks like
>the closing days of WWII and the return to stateside.

I'd say AG's estimate ties in with some facts.  I did a Google of the name
of the ship that appeared in one photo and here's what I found:

The USAHS Algonquin was a hospital ship and "...on her last return in
September 1945, she began returning to New York, Stapleton Pier 16, Staten
Island.  From the new homeport in New York, the USAHS Algonquin would make
two more trips to Naples, Leghorn, and Marseilles in late 1945."

See http://www.angelfire.com/home/usahsalgonquin/history.htm for more info
on the ship.

Andrew McPhee

PS. I recall seeing many threads on a forum about photogs developing
'found' films but I cannot locate them again. Might have been on either
APUG, the Rangefinder Forum or Photo.net.  This is a popular pastime with
often very surprising results.