[OM] [OT] Coming Out Of The Closet

Subject: [OM] [OT] Coming Out Of The Closet
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
I think this should be called the Monday syndrome...:) Didn't Moose make the
same confession on Monday?
I made a new friend.
I feel a little guilty, because it does not come from the company that created
the legendary OM system, but times have changed...
I bought the Minolta A200, the only non pro camera that "could walk the walk
and chew gum at the same time", the words of Michael Reichmann.  Actually, he
said this about the A200's sister, the A2.
I was advised to get the A2, but chose the A200 instead, because I felt that it
is improved in ways that would suit my photography style better.  For example:
I don't need flash, except for the mugshots at a party...the only time I use a
flash is when the camera is on B and I walk around with it...
I love that tilting LCD that would help me take pix that were not possible
before.  But what sold me was the remote control.  Now I can sit on the deck
and drink vino while the camera takes pictures of the birdfeeder...:)
I did what Walt did, I bought it on other's recommendations.  I will admit that
I did the sneaky thing, looked around first before I bought, but don't feel
bad.  The first time was at BestBuy while waiting for wife to buy (they had the
EVOLT only, I told you about it) a cellphone and the second time was at Hunt's
photo which was next to the museum we went to.  All the stuff was in the back
and you were not able to see prices, so had to ask, that's when I handled the
E-thingy.  They did carry the A200, but did not have a model with charged
batteries to show me (and besides, they pissed me off, since I clearly showed
interest in the E-1 and all I got was an attempt to sell me a Canon, if it were
not for that, I may have bought it).
So, I did a lot of thinking afterwards and finally made my decision.  I have
not found the "perfect" camera yet, but with the money I saved by not buying
the E-thingy, I can go to several places or attend at least couple of those
workshops that always wanted to.  The only thing I loose is the enviroseals.
On related note, my first digital also shoots the 4/3 format, except in one of
the resolutions where it uses the 2/3 format.
Now the OM related part (no, it is not entirely OT),  The way it handles and
feels, it remings me of the OMPC, so tiny, so beautiful and so comfortable (but
it meters correctly in low light...:).  I always thought that the OM PC is the
prettiest of the OM line cameras.
Quality?  I got it last Monday and have been playing with it for a whole week
now.  I had some pictures shot with the dRebel (the old one) and don't see much
difference, but I don't have the "eye" for things like this yet...only
difference I saw was in one of the pictures, there is slightly more grainess in
parts of the underexposed blurred by motion areas.  I am going to create an
account somewhere (feel free to suggest...) in the next couple of weeks and
upload some images for those of you who are the analizing types...:) so you can
tell me what a (insert your favorite offensive expression here) I am.
I have not abandon the OM's.  I still keep my OM1 and my Mint in box OM PC.  In
the next couple of years, I intend to buy the 35/shift and the 24/2.8 (read
after they loose its trendiness, especially among those other camera users...)
The A200 was so intuitive, that I knew how to access every feature the first
night  (or maybe I am just "that" smart...:)  Now I have to figure out what are
the "perfect" settings.  I admit, I am happy with my choice.  This is the
camera I drooled about ever since the original 7 came out.  The only other
camera I ever did the same about was the Oly C2500 if anyone remembers it.
Strange, the fascination with the A setting wore out in less than 5 minutes.
Somehow I found my way to the M setting while composing.  I think I have an
excuse for that...:)  I always used the camera meter as a guide only and in
addition to that, have trained myself not to rely on one...if you know what I
mean.  Exposure is always determined by looking at the subject and not looking
at the subject through the viewfinder.  VF used for composition only.  I don't
feel compelled to focus manually though.  The AF is a moving cursor so I can
focus on anything I want on the screen.
Well, this is it...I feel a little guilty, but as I said, the times have
changed and that's sad, really.
Boris
P.S.  I too bought a car without test driving it...:)

Discover Yahoo!