[OM] Re: The Gimp

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:23:45 +0930
Hi Brian,

Don't give up! you'll get there.  The GIMP is a powerful program and it
is _FREE_. The alternative (PhotoshopCS)  retails for over AUD$1199
(full version, $600ish for the ACAD versions) here in Adelaide.
Photoshop is generally better, one large difference is that PS has
faster algorithms for processing. One has to balance the cost/benefit
ratio...

Documentation... A good instruction manual that explains it is 'Grokking
the Gimp' by Carey Bunks. You can  download the HTML as a tarball (&
unpack it to your HDD), or use it online for nix. You can also buy a paper
copy if you wish. see:   http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

I don't know if I can give you any assistance, as I'm no expert. I use
it under Xwindows on FreeBSD & it may be different, though I'd be happy
to try. e.g. on the version I use:
- to resize: rclk on canvas, clk Image->Scale Image... set resolution
(pixels per in/mm) if you want to change it, & adjust ratio to resize to
a target of pixels or size.
- to select all, rclk on canvas, clk Select->all  (ctrl-A is the
shortcut)

how are things on your side of the Tasman?

regards,
davidt