[OM] Re: The Gimp

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:59:17 -0500
At 04:11 PM 6/26/2005, Manuel Viet wrote:

>The Gimp is not Photoshop, it's different. If you don't like it, buy PS. But
>nobody has any interest whatsoever to have another PS (bad) clone.

I had a need to open and edit a layered PS file . . . and didn't want to
buy PS.  Found The Gimp, downloaded and installed it.  It's totally
different from DL&C's Picture Window, which being the old sclerotic gasping
geezer clinging to film by what's left of my yellowed and brittle finger
nails, is far more intuitive for someone more accustomed to wet darkroom
jargon and work.  That said, I didn't uninstall it afterward.  The latest
version wasn't "buggy" provided one installs the most current GTK +2, and
**doesn't** install the extra DeWeirdifyer (tried it and pulled it out of
the plug-in directory).  Even the latest version of that continues to have
some problems in WinXP/SP2 . . . but from what I understand it's closer.

Yep, docs are "thin" but for something that's **totally** free under
GNU/GPL/LGPL, I cannot complain . . . and never having used PS, I don't
have any benchmark about comparative complexity.  There are a wealth of
plug-ins for The Gimp.  I'll eventually play with it more just to see what
it can do.  Yes . . . also thirsts for a high end machine with oodles of
RAM . . . but I gots one . . . a high speed AMD64 box for occasional gaming
. . . although it seems to do OK on a 1.8 GHz Duron (a 2nd Edition type
with 266 FSB) with 256 MB RAM and WinXP/SP2 (might breathe a bit easier
with 512 MB RAM).

There are some fabulous GNU/GPL/LGPL apps out there . . . OpenOffice . . .
Firefox . . . Thunderbird . . . etc.

-- John Lind