[OM] Re: The journey to work - electrically/ Now Cholesterol

Subject: [OM] Re: The journey to work - electrically/ Now Cholesterol
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:42:33 -0400
The guarantee seems like a pretty safe marketing bet.  See this Canadian
government report on mercury content in fish oils.
<http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/feebet/dioxe.shtml>

Fish oil samples from Canada, Chile, Iceland, Peru and elsewhere in
South America had undetectable levels of mercury.  There was a small
amount found in samples from Mexico but it was still an order of
magnitude below the limit.

I saw an explanation elsewhere that heavy metals bind to proteins but
not to fat and so the oil would not be expected to contain heavy metals.
  Also, most fish oil production is from small species such as sardines.
  These little guys don't accumulate heavy metals in their tissues like
the larger predators such as tuna.

Chuck Norcutt