[OM] Re: It's he-e-e-e-re!

Subject: [OM] Re: It's he-e-e-e-re!
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
>       Now that I'm seriously considering going digital, I'm
> starting to pay close attention to these digital camera posts.
> What do you mean by "crank in two stops"?

F2.8 - F4.5 tends to overexpose the pictures slightly (depends a
bit on lens focal length and focus distance) and F11 and above
tend to underexpose the pictures.  (do I have this right?)

So, just focus with the lens, stop it down a click or two to get
it beyond that F4.5 point and shoot away.

The reason for this has to do with the tiny mirror. Effectively,
the viewfinder is getting an F4.5 image regardless of the
brightness of the lens (provided that it's larger than F4.5).
Even on the C*nons this is an issue with the 20D wheras it
wasn't near the problem with the 10D.

I recommend that you do controlled tests of your lenses. It only
takes a few minutes.  Set the camera on a tripod aimed at an
evenly lit colorchart, picture or something with gradients and a
known mid-tone. Put a post-it note with the lens identification
in the picture (ie 50/1.8). Mount the lens in question, put the
camera on Auto, and start at the widest aperture and fire away.
One shot per click.  Change lenses, repeat.  Use a low-res, high
compression image format for this so you can quickly go through
the images for comparison.  It'll take you about two minutes per
sequence. It didn't take me long, but some of you with dozens of
lenses might need to get an extra cup of coffee.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com