[OM] A modest proposal to revive a tradition [was It's he-e-e-e-re!]

Subject: [OM] A modest proposal to revive a tradition [was It's he-e-e-e-re!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:58:34 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>Let me clarify for the Schnozz.  The problem with large and small
>apertures only has to do with metering.  The cone of light that the
>meter sees from a fast lens is affected by the size of the mirror.
>Stopping down a bit returns the situation to normal.  Actual picture
>taking is unaffected since the mirror is no longer in the light path.
>If you want to take a shot at f/2 for very narrow DOF then meter it at,
>say, f/5.6 and set the shutter speed 3 stops faster as you open the lens
>back up to f/2.  Alternatively, build your adjustment table for each
>lens as suggested below.
>
>Moose has a test page he posted recently (for the second or third time)
>that perfectly illustrates the problem as seen on his C*n*n 300D.  The
>E-1 will be a little different as will each lens but the same phenomenon
>is at work.

I keep posting that thing because new E-1 users and wannabies keep
asking what the deal is with OM mount Zuikos and others on the E-1. I
think a picture is worth quite a few words. I know the E-1 does this
different than the 300D, but it at least gives a clue of what the issue
actually is.

And I keep hoping one of those E-1 enablers will do something similar
for their buddies. Hint, hint.

Could even be a group project to cover many of the more popular lenses.
Or perhaps it would prove that all the trouble is just above a certain
f-stop, regardless of lens and fl? I would participate if anybody wants
to send along an E-1 and MA-1. I'll send it back as soon as I'm finished
playing.  :-)

Seems like something the old list would jump at, an opportunity to
document something both Oly and really useful to Oly users.

Moose