[OM] Re: Website rebuild

Subject: [OM] Re: Website rebuild
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:47:15 +0100
I'm way behind with my reading, so this may have been covered already,
but I think you've caused yourself trouble by combining your logo (and
basic site design, ie buttons) with an image which is visually strong,
but represents only one of the elements that you are trying to
incorporate on the site. When you then put up your photography, there
is a clash of images that is jarring, and is what people are reacting
to.

If you remove all images from the site design, and put together a
simple, but graphic, layout with your logo (can be straightforward as
you've made it - look at some other logos for inspiration, eg Getty
Images), then you can separate image styles on different pages for the
different sections. On the homepage you don't need very much - it can
be a 'portal' to the various site sections sections/services that you
offer. If you want an image there (I don't think it needs one) then you
could have it picked at random from a folder, but use only one so that
they are not fighting each other for attention.

Personally, I think that the audio / acoustic and telecommunications
work that you do is so far removed from photography that they should
really be on entirely separate sites - people looking for one won't be
interested in the others; they're different markets.

Hope that this is constructive.

James