[OM] Re: Erwin Puts on the E1, Four Thirds, Olympus

Subject: [OM] Re: Erwin Puts on the E1, Four Thirds, Olympus
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:44:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 27 May 2005, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> What is particularly offensive is that Olympus marketing implies that it
> is something they invented and apply to all their lenses, designed for
> digital from the ground up and people accept it.

Why?  I remember when Olympus first published the claim that digital sensors
need digital specific lenses (i.e. telecentric) to get high quality images.
This was well before the E-1 came on the market.  Almost everyone (even on
this list) dismissed it as merely a marketing ploy to get people to buy new
Olympus lenses rather than use perfectly good older 35mm lenses.  People
started taking the telecentric theory seriously only after Leica published
a similar report.  So I'd say Olympus has every right to imply that they were
the first to bring the telecentric theory to market.  After seeing the results
from the ZD 7-14mm lens, I would never want to go back to the older lens
design.  The OM's 18mm and 21mm lenses don't even come close to the results
the ZD 7-14mm delivers.  Olympus has proven they do know what they're talking
about.
                                        -mark