[OM] Re: Erwin Puts on the E1, Four Thirds, Olympus

Subject: [OM] Re: Erwin Puts on the E1, Four Thirds, Olympus
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 08:33:26 -0700
It describes the need to design a lens so that the rays hitting the
sensor are as nearly parallel as possible because of the recessed
nature of the sensor site. Telephoto lenses do that anyway. Wide
angle lenses tend to have diverging rays hitting the film plane, but
with a sensor it causes problems like color aberration and light fall
off. Virtually every new wide angle lens designed since digital by
any manufacturer has had this in mind. The result is wide angles
lenses that have a deeper retrofocus and are larger in size. What is
particularly offensive is that Olympus marketing implies that it is
something they invented and apply to all their lenses, designed for
digital from the ground up and people accept it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA