[OM] Re: Erwin Puts on the E1, Four Thirds, Olympus

Subject: [OM] Re: Erwin Puts on the E1, Four Thirds, Olympus
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:39:08 -0700
Well, Nikon brought out a "telecentric" 12-24 zoom in Feb 03 without
the the discovering new principles hype. The E-1 came out with its
first E camera and lens some months later. The point I was making was
that it is just lens design to a purpose and every company in the
digital camera business was redesigning and reissuing their wide
angle lenses to work better with sensors. Olympus did not discover
something unknown by others, and in fact lagged other makers a bit.
And the Oly marketing implication that "telecentric" was something
new which they apply to all their lenses is just silly because any
traditional telephoto lens is all ready "telecentric".

It is a shame because Olympus makes some nice stuff, but it is
embarrassing to see them try to gull their customers when they were
really sitting around with their thumb up their.. for decades, while
others were charging ahead. I would be just as critical of Pentax or
Minolta who also were late in producing digital SLRs if they then
claimed to be the expert and that everything else was just a
compromise. But they did not. They are content to sell the features
of their cameras.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA