[OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II

Subject: [OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 07:30:29 -0400
Very interesting comparisons.  I think both image sets show that the
film image has slightly higher resolution but the 300D wins with the
more pleasing image due to its almost total lack of noise.  For example,
on Film vs Digital I, examine the arc of rocks on the nearest hill near
the bottom center of the image.  The rocks stand out more on the film
image but the film image loses out overall due to the very grainy sky.

On Film vs Digital II note the pine tree branches in the bottom row
behind the roof peak.  There appears to be more detail in the film
image.  However, it's not enough for me to say for sure that what
appears to be more detail may only be mottling of the image due to
grain.  However, if one judged sharpness and detail by the nail heads
seen in the shingles the 300D wins.  There is another rather striking
thing seen here and elsewhere.  Note that the 300D image (in the pine
branches and the roof peak) has dramatically less brown.  It's very
subdued on the roof peak and missing altogether in the branches.  Maybe
Moose has an explanation for that.

This particular comparison may also be somewhat affected by comparing
images from the Kiron 28-200 shot at 28 and 50mm.  I'm sure the lens
performs at least a little bit better (and maybe quite a bit) at 50mm
vs. 28mm and thus give the advantage to the film.

Chuck Norcutt