[OM] Re: #138 Nostalgia anyone?

Subject: [OM] Re: #138 Nostalgia anyone?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 23:00:48 -0400
The photo was nostalgia deepened by the mention of the Alfa.  My first
sports car was a (non-running) Alfa Giulia 1300 which had been abandoned
at a gas station and left under an apple tree (with the top down).  I
trailered it home and ended up trading it to a local garage who wanted
it for the intake manifold and carbs for an SCCA racer they were
building.  The trade was for a '57 Sunbeam Alpine with a rod through the
block.  Obviously, the Alpine wasn't going anywhere soon either but it,
at least, had a decent top and didn't have a rotting interior that
smelled like apple cider.

I later bought another '57 Alpine and kept the first for spares.  Good
move since, if you own an Alpine, you will have ample need of spares.
My most exciting day with the Alpine was rounding a curve, striking a
bump and breaking about 1/3 of all the spokes in the right front wheel.
  My least exciting days with the Alpine were the many ocassions I had
to remove the exhaust manifold to replace the starter motor.  These
were, of course, manufactured by that Prince of Darkness, Lucas Electric.

Then both Alpines were sold and I moved up to a '64 E-type Jag.  But
that's another story altogether.  Them were the good ol' days.

Chuck Norcutt