[OM] Re: Case for OM4T?

Subject: [OM] Re: Case for OM4T?
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 23:03:27 -0500
At 10:16 PM 5/3/2005, Moose wrote:
>ScottGee1 wrote:
>
> >Also some cases apparently allow them to remain on the camera when a
> >tripod is used - or do they all do that?  I'm guessing that the
> >appropriate threading is replicated in the fastener at the bottom of
> >the case that is used to tighten the body into the case.
>
>Those early cases in black pebbel grain leather with the tripod screw
>attachment (modeled after other previous case designs for other cameras)
>are very tight fits on the bodies after the OM-2n. The later cases
>designed for them are a better bet.

I have one and it fits the OM-2n like a glove.  They won't fit over an
OM-[1,1n,2,2n] with the shoe attached . . . it must be removed first.  The
cover will not fit over an OM-[2S,3,3ti,4,4T] due to the different prism
housing shape and hot shoe.  The bottom will not fit on an OM-[10,F,G,PC]
due to different body shape on the body ends in addition to the cover not
fitting over the prism and hot shoe.

Even if they did, using the screw on the bottom for mounting to a tripod is
not all that stable.  It is much, much better to take the case off and put
the quick release plate directly onto the camera body.  The knurled thumb
screw simply does not have enough surface area contact and regardless of
how tight it's screwed into the body, there is always a slight bit of
play.  Been there, done (tried) that, and learned quickly . . . remove
camera case before attaching to tripod.

> >And yes, I realize some folks find these things an abomination but
> >there are times that I just want to head out with one lens and want to
> >keep the whole thing from getting bumped or bruised.
> >

>Not an abomination, just impractical. I like the IDEA of protection. But
>the aren't called "Neverready Cases" for nothing. If you leave them
>buttoned up, you miss shots. If you don't, you either have the front
>dangling awkwardly or hanging awkwardly about your person. They are nice
>for protection in storage, transit, etc., just not while trying to take
>pics.
>
>Moose

I remove cover completely and leave it in the camera bag when camera is in
use for the reasons Moose mentions . . . the thing flapping around is a
PITA and gets in the way.  Not only that, but with the exception of some
very hard to find and rare covers, they only fit over 50mm lenses.

Be aware there are a plethora of black OM-[10,F,G] cases around, many more
than were made for the "single digit" bodies, the case bottom does not fit
the single-digit bodies very well due to the squared off ends of the
double-digit bodies versus the beveled ends of the single-digit.  A
single-digit can be forced into one but it will brass the ends of the
camera body and the hard case bottom will eventually fail by having forced
a triangular peg into a square hole.  Other than the very old black leather
pebble-grained, all the other single-digit cases I've seen are brown.  All
the ones I've seen for the OM-[2S,3,3ti,4,4T] with fixed hot shoe are
smooth dark brown.  The old, light tan saddle leather cases have the same
problem as the black pebble grain made for the original OM-[1,1n,2,2n]
bodies . . . cover won't fit over prism and hot shoe on the later bodies.

There are also two types of the dark brown cases around . . . one type made
from thin glove leather and the other man-made (which doesn't hold up over
time; surface chips off revealing white cotton-like stuff underneath . . .
like a worn lens case).  I didn't know this until I actually saw a worn one
of "fake" leather.  It can be hard to tell between them . . . they're
nearly the same . . . look for rub/wear on corners and edges that have
lightened the leather color as a tell-tale on the leather ones.  Any sign
of chipping or cracking in the surface is a tell-tale of the "fake" leather.

-- John Lind