[OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??

Subject: [OM] Re: ?? Mid-tele zoom w/49mm filters??
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:19:51 -0500
At 12:23 PM 4/16/2005, you wrote:

>The Tamron 80-200/2.8 isn't an elephant tusk?

I reserve "elephant tusk" to characterize lenses in the 180/2 or larger in
size or weight.  There was a bit of trepidation about the size of the
Tamron at first look, but found it can be hand held without too much
trouble by letting the tripod mount rest on the heel of the left hand
(right hand if using a left hand flash bracket, hand grip or potato masher
with cable release).  Wouldn't want to hold it locked in one position for
long without some respite for muscle recovery, but it is workable for an
entire day of shooting without a winder or flash stuff added.  Perhaps I've
become accustomed to hauling and holding some of the heavier gear and
loaded down flash brackets.

In looking for some of the better zoom lenses in this focal range class,
some of which have the compactness approaching that of the Zuiko's, see
this "cult classic lens" page on Monaghan's MF site:
   http://medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html
Why it's in the middle of a tonnage of medium format system articles and
data I've never been able to completely understand, but I'm not complaining
either.  It contains the typical thoroughness of Robert Monaghan's articles
and information.

-- John Lind