[OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:01:46 +0100
That's true of the negatives, Walt, but don't forget that a half frame
negative is enlarged twice as much as a full frame negar=tive ti get an
8x10.  That extra enlargement "magnifies" the out-of-fcous areas on the
final print.

Thus the convention that DOF is related to format, specificaaly the size of
the circle of confusion is related to the diagonal of the format.  Smaller
CoC gives smaller DoF, other things being equal.

Don't imagine that I am a stickler for the conventional view of DoF - as it
happens, I am not at all - but I do believe that the usable DoF from a given
lens will be different if a smaaler portion of the frame ends up on a print
of a given size.

--
Piers