[OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:24:48 +0000
Consider that using a lens intended for the 35mm format on a camera with a
half-size sensor really just amounts to in-camera cropping.  The perspective,
depth of field, and everything else will be the same as if you shot the scene
on 35mm film and then cropped out the digital-size portion.

The receptor of the image has, or should have, unless it's defective, no effect
on the image itself.  If I look out the kitchen window and see an elephant in
the front yard and I yell to my wife, "Come here and look at this ***ing
elephant in the front yard!" I would be more than surprised if she came, looked
out the window and said, "Elephant?  That's a rhinoceros, you moron!"  Same
thing here.  Whether it's a whiz-bang digital sensor or a primitive piece of
Plus-X, the picture projected onto it is the same in every respect.  It's just
that with a smaller format receptor, you don't get the whole picture, and if
it's an elephant, it's just going to be part of the elephant.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --