[OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Re: Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:22:58 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Michael R. Collins wrote:

> The answer to the "digital DoF" question, then, would depend on the
> factor used, and is the same as for 35mm only if the factor is the
> same, which I doubt. I'm off to search the literature; no idea
> whether I'll find anything.

Sort of.  The problem comes when you don't use the same lens (focal length)
in MF, 35mm, and digital.  If the same focal length is used (eg. 50mm) then
the DoF will be the same.  Unfortunatly we want the same angle of view and
for digital we need to use a smaller focal length to get the same angle of
view.  For the E-1 that would be approximately 25mm for a 50mm OM lens.  Now,
that E-1 25mm lens has significantly different DoF than the 50mm OM lens, but
if we put that same 25mm lens on an OM, it would have the exact same DoF as
on the E-1. Does that make sense? Clear as mud?
                                        -mark