[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:35:47 -0000
Chris Barker wrote:

> I don't suppose that I am saying that reflected would replace
> incident, merely that your metering can be just as accurate
> with a spot meter as with an incident meter.

I'd agree with that. An OM4 can measure reflected light at least as
accurately, if not more so, than a Gossen Lunasix 3. But unfortunately
it can't also measure, separately, incident light.

> You are measuring the scene's light differently and you can make
> gross errors either way.  If you aim your spot at the wrong part
> of the scene you will use the wrong exposure; if you aim your
> incident meter at the wrong light you will make a mistake.

It's far more difficult to get it wrong with incident readings. With
reflective readings, if you point at a very bright object, or a very
dark object, you will get it wrong unless you compensate manually (or
use HI-LIGHT/SHADOW). Unless you just take the reading at the wrong
point, or pointing completely and utterly the wrong way, it's almost
impossible to go wrong with incident. You don't even need to compensate
for dark or bright images, not even in snow!

> Therefore I contest your assertion that:
>
>>> it certainly can't get close to the accuracy of incident metering
>>> with a light meter.

Fair enough. They are equally accurate at measuring what they measure.
But the usefulness of what they measure is what makes incident meters so
great.

Regards,

Simon