[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:09:03 -0500
>That pretty much says all that it is needed to know.  While I am sympathetic
>to the "incident is king" approach, I wouldn't want to argue (for example)
>that measuring my height in feet and inches is categorically better than
>doing so in centimeters (or, conversely, weight in kilograms better than in
>pounds).  Both methods ought to give the same answer, but one unit of
>measure is more readily understood by some, while the other has an
>apparently greater degree of accuracy.
>
>So it is with light metering.
Piers,

Interesting comments. I believe that incident will give the easiest results in
almost all cases. I use my incident meter regularly, but my spot meter only
when I am in special circumstance. Fact is, you can't duplicate one  with the
other, and the spot reading always requires more interpretation. Of course, if
we were cinematographers, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

On the subject of measurements, my father spent about 50 years in the aircraft
business as an engineer, where he had important roles in the design of several
Boeing military aircraft and in the original LearJet. He commented that he was
unhappy working in the metric system, as he felt he lost precision as compared
with thousanths of inches.

Bill Pearce

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.