[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:08:19 -0000
Daniel Mitchell wrote:

>> I do the same, to a certain extent. But if I'm in a difficult
>> position, and I have the time, I don't bother guessing, and just fish

>> for the incident meter instead!
>
>  Of course, that assumes that you can physically get the meter to be
> next to the thing you're taking a photo of,

Not necessarily. You just need to take a reading next to something which
is receiving the same amount of light as your subject, with the meter
pointing in the direction of your camera.

> and also that the thing you're photographing has consistent lighting
> conditions across all of it.

No more or less so than spot metering.

> Ansel Adams' "Moon and Half Dome", for
> instance, would fail on both of these counts -- and while there's
> nothing to stop you hiking back and forth taking incident readings
> in and out of shadowed areas to work out what's going on, it would
> be a heck of a lot easier to sit in one place and point a spot
> meter at different bits of scene..

I agree that in that example, spot metering is probably more suitable.

Regards,

Simon