[OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid> Now Shift Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid> Now Shift Lenses
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:22:10 -0000
I have had the Arsat 35/2.8 TS for a couple of years.  Yes, it *is* a native
OM mount, no adaptors, no extra elements to correct the film register and no
problem fitting it to an OM body. And NO alternative if you want to use lens
tilt.  Performance-wise I have no complaints at all.  Aesthetics-wise it is
certainly no Zuiko, with a rather coarse feel to the focus motion, and the
tilt and shift movements are operated by turnscrews, so it is less easy to
use than a Zuiko shift. There is also a rather ugly white nylon spacer
between lens and mount. Build quality seems adequate, and the seller's
factory contacts explained to me that the OM mount is made to order on CNC
milling equipment at Arsenal.  This was in response to a couple of minor
mount-related issues:

1       there is a slight rotational error in the alignment of the lens on
the mount.  Lens "North" is a degree or so adrift from mount "North" which
means that a vertical shift is not quite vertical if the camera body is
properly horizontal - but as Bill has said in a different context, it is
close enough for government work, and well within the other operator-induced
errors of alignment.

2       the aperture reporting lever was wrongly aligned at about one-stop
below the full-aperture position (perhaps the thinking was "This is a f/2.8
lens, so the lever has to be one stop away from where it would be on a f/2
lens").  That resulted in exposure errors, but was very easily fixed with a
pair of pliers.

There is one remaining puzzle, which is that in occasional images in bright
sun with full shift I get a lot of flare, with a faint screw-shaped shadow
in the middle of the image!  I have not yet found either the light leak or
the offendibg screw, but haven't made a concerted effort to track them down,
either.

Overall, I have no regrets, the depth-of-field flexibility the tilt affords
is really worth looking at.

A couple of other listers may be able to add their comments?

--
Piers