[OM] Re: Buying advice: Which printer?

Subject: [OM] Re: Buying advice: Which printer?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:23:18 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Minolta 2400 --
> > 3 x $50 for 1500 pages for color cartridges
> > 1 x $75 for 5000 pages of black
> > printer = $800
> >

> are these figures based on the **usual** 5% ink/toner coverage?
> if so you are still not going to get many a4 colour prints...

 5% would mean fewer than 100 pages color which is definitely way too low.
It gets used for printing a lot of real estate fact sheets. Approximately
1/3 to 1/2 the page is a photo. I believe the 1500 page spec must be for
something containing at least a 5x7 photo. To be honest I would be hard
pressed to say whether we get 1000 or 4000. Several people use it at
different times, mostly printing 50 pages at a time. The photo quality is
quite good but your choice of paper is very limited. I suppose if you used
very smooth, thick paper and put it behind glass it could look like a
conventional photo. I tend to think of it as a very high quality magazine
page rather than a photo print ... primarily because of the paper.

-jeff