[OM] Re: Buying advice: Which printer?

Subject: [OM] Re: Buying advice: Which printer?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:44:21 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

>>Canon has not even attempted to follow Epson into the
>>archival area.
>>

>And this suprises me as Canon owns the DSLR world.

I thik this would be a HUGE inestment on Canon's part, with no
guaranteed payoff. It's pretty clear that inkjet printer/ink/paper
development is far more art/experience and less pure engineering than
many areas of industrial design.

Starting from scratch with a different technology would be an enormous
undertaking. Even if they reverse engineer lots of Epson stuff, there
are scads of patents in the way. I'd think the risk/reward analysis
would be really scary.

Besides, they are selling lots of printers in a marketplace where the
real volume is in the cheap to mid-price printers where nobody seems to
know or care about print longevity issues. They have rightly judged that
the average customer at the office supply or big box store is most
concerned with how quickly they can get a good looking print. Maybe they
should adopt the cell phone model. Go further than Epson in making it
difficult to use 3rd. party inks and offer a new printer every 2-3 years
if you have been using their inks exclusively. Most of the profits are
probably in the inks and paper anyway.

Moose