[OM] Re: Calumet

Subject: [OM] Re: Calumet
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:51:55 -0800
Bernard Frangoulis wrote:

>>So, did anyone here buy any of the stuff Calumet was auctioning off this
>>week? They had a bunch of OM stuff, pretty well-worn from a school, all
>>going at relatively low prices. I put a bid on a 50 f2 macro but was sniped.
>>

>So did I ! It finished at USD 176 I think. The lens was not pretty,
>and was visibly engraved. But they said the glass was "nearly
>perfect". I should have placed a higher bid ! I hope someone from the
>list got it.

Not me. I thought about a couple of them pretty seriously. Then I
thought again. Just 'cause glass 'looks' fine doesn't mean that rough
handling, maybe a couple of drops, etc. hasn't caused some problem in
centering, spacing, etc. Look at some of the differences in Gray's tests
where he tried more than one example. External condition doesn't
guarantee perfect insides, but I thknk it significantly increads the
odds in my favor.

A freind teaches video at a high school and what those kids do to the
equipment is a little scary.

Moose