[OM] Re: My New Super-Duper "Minimal" Kit Idea

Subject: [OM] Re: My New Super-Duper "Minimal" Kit Idea
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:40:21 -0800 (PST)
Moose wrote:
> My personal solution would be a 2x macro telextender. My light
> kit
> almost always has a Vivitar 2x macro teleconverter with 50/1.4
> in the
> back pocket. In your proposed kit, it could do double duty. On
> the
> 50/1.2, it makes a 100/2.4 lens that focuses from infinity to
> 1:1.

This is partially true information about the OUTSTANDING Vivitar
2x macro teleconverter.  I had one for a while and I still kick
myself for getting rid of it.  However,...

When adding extension AND multiplying focal lengths between the
primary lens and the camera body, there are a couple of unusual
nuances.

1. When the multiplier is positioned immediately behind the lens
it doubles the focal length of that lens and the bokeh
characteristics will be more in line of that new focal lengh.
Any extension positioned between the multiplier and the camera
body gives you the close focusing ability. Unfortunately, to
achieve 1:1 you need a LOT of extension because if you have a
50mm primary lens, and a 2X multiplier and extension tubes
behind them, you'd need 100mm of extension to achieve 1:1.

2. When the extension is positioned immediately behind the lens
it gives the bokeh characteristics of that lens and the
multiplier just magnifies the image. The advantage to this
configuration is that you only need 25mm of extension with 2X
magnification to get to 1:1 with a 50mm primary lens.

The Vivitar 2X Macro is of variety #2. It magnifies the close-up
image of the primary lens.  This is not disimular to the
cropping factor of digital cameras.  They don't turn a 50mm lens
into a 100mm lens, but just magnify or crop the image of a 50mm
lens.  I sold mine because I liked the image of an extended
100mm lens more than the 50mm + 2X Macro.

An example of the 100/2.8 + 25mm extension is on the bottom of
my home page.  http://www.image66media.com

To the original question, my "go kit" contains the 24/2.8,
35/2.8, 50/3.5, 100/2.8 and a couple of extension tubes.
Extension tubes on either the 100/2.8 or 85/2 will give you
outstanding results.  My extended "go kit" adds the 200/4 and a
close-up filter. (mine was an Olympus macro lens that I bought
for my IS-1). This close-up filter screwed onto the 100/2.8 was
good enough to get me a magazine cover photo.

For quite a while, I used the 35/shift lens as my primary lens.
It travelled with me everywhere I went. Alas, I foolishly sold
that too.  I hope you're enjoying it, Joel.

AG

http://my.yahoo.com