[OM] Re: How much is too much?

Subject: [OM] Re: How much is too much?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:13:07 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>I guess I will say something too.

Me too, me too! May I piggyback on yours, 'cause it address pretty much
the same things I'm interested in.

>I think it changes the picture quite
>a bit which is all right if that is what you want. I think the trash
>says something about the place and the extreme fatigue of the man who
>would feel safe enough to snooze there.

And yet... The shiny stuff under the bench pulls attention away from the
main subjects. There are already so many subjects that I don't want
something so shiny down there. Leaving the paper in the light would be ok.

>Removing the hand from his case cancels the anxiety that made want to keep it
>safe in the event he dozed off.

I really agree with this. Getting rid of the bright white rolls is fine,
but I think the hand tells an important part of the story. Also, without
the hand's position to tell me that the forearm is resting well back on
the suitcase, explaining the lack of a visible shoulder on that side, I
think he looks a little like an amputee.

>The bulge in his jacket

I thought the bulges on the sides were the bunched up sides of an
umbuttoned sports jacket under the coat. You can see the collar. then
the coat is pulled tight across empty space in the center.

>seems to indicate the priority of
>what needs to be most protected, the case with the hand next, then the
>case next to him and then the umbrella. I think the unphotoshopped
>picture is much stronger.  And I am more comfortable with the dark
>shadows with trash under the bench than I am with the digital noise and
>round edged clone stamps that replace it.

Me too, but it could be done more effectively. I would probably have
just selected the whole area and lowered its brightness quite a bit.

> The crop is great.

Yes, without it, all the energy disappates.

>I don't have much problem with using Photoshop. I believe you really have to
>think about why and how you are going to do it though.

As I'm sure Walt did. We all have different ideas of what looks best

Moose