[OM] Re: How much is too much?

Subject: [OM] Re: How much is too much?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:12:47 -0000
I don't see the distinction between darkroom techniques, traditional
retouching, and digital adjustment - particularly if you are using a digital
camera with who-knows-what high/low/top/bottom-pass filtration over which
the photographer has no control.

With your background, Walt, I guess you may have seen a newspaper picture
desk in the days of hot-metal printing and 60 screens - in which case you
will know only too well the gross retouching that could be done without the
reader knowing any different. It's the final result that matters.

Nor do I see any distinction between those techniques and careful (artful)
choice of Kodachrome vs Velvia, because you will not convince me that Velvia
produces a faithful rendition of the scene even though the results are more
likely to be attractive.

So go ahead - the artist should not feel constrained to use a subset of the
available tools/techniques.  And I certainly would never suggest that "you
oughta be shot", for the simple (and in my view unassailable) reason that
you have the "piece" and I don't.  And even if I did, you are certainly the
faster on the draw!

--
Piers