[OM] Re: Evolt review

Subject: [OM] Re: Evolt review
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:46:59 -0800
You expect a $900 bottom of the line entry level camera to feel like a
$2800 Leica? Or even an ancient modestly priced metal Olympus that was
approaching Leica price territory when it was discontinued despite
having written off design costs years before? Two cameras famous for
their feel?  I think any $3000 digital SLR might give you a feel for
fine build quality and get a large sensor, a couple of LCDs and bucket
of electronics thrown into the bargain for free. You might even find it
the E-1 for less money.

Incidentally the camera and lens you complain about being light is
heavier than your comparison cameras. It just has more volume in your
hand and just subjectively feels lighter, just like the weight of a
camera seems to disappear with a wider camera strap. On the other hand
they could just  add lead weights like some unscrupulous furniture
companies do and the electronics industry did back in the 80s to give
that "quality feel."

It is true that some things seem to have gone away forever like
engraved numerals and markings on lenses, depth of field aids on lenses
and the elegant feel of a finely machined and lubricated focusing
mechanism. But you will never convince me that the lens shades with
slide on cheezy screw locking rings or screw in threads were a good
thing. It is nice to have locking bayonet hoods and zooms sharper than
primes. Sometimes the cost of something new and better is the loss of
something we were comfortable with.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA