[OM] Re: Evolt review

Subject: [OM] Re: Evolt review
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:26:12 -0800
BILL CLARK wrote:

>bias?
>
>Phil Askey, the dpreview owner, apparently uses a Fuji S2 and has always
>wished for an S2 sensor in a good Nikon body...wouldn't we all

>P.S. Does anyone seem to find DPreview reviews slightly biased towards
>Canon and Nikon gear?

I've never really noticed such a bias, but that doesn't mean there may not be
one. I forgive them any bias anyway, because they provide the data to do my own
evaluations in a way that no one else does. The data on timings, the rather
consistent images showing noise, sharpness, resolution, macro performance, etc.
and the extensive collection of full pixel sample images are certainly the best
source I've ever seen for making one's own evaluations and comparisons.

Many times I put up 2 half width windows side by side with noise or other
images from 2 cameras. I've also downloaded the full size images to evaluate
more closely. And who else is going to notice and point out things like
differences in actual iso performance from stated performance, something that
can make a big difference in real world noise performance?

When I said that I thought the lower noise at higher isos of the better DSLRs
was as good or better a solution to dealing with vibration induced blur* than
the IS on the A2, that wasn't just based on reading the conclusions in a review
or two. It was based on downloading images, comparing them, running them
through noise filtering, etc. I could never have done that without dpreview,
and to a lesser extent, largely for sample images, Steve's Digicams.

I do read their conclusions first, not to take them as gospel, but to point out
what part of the review detail to concentrate on first.

Of course, I may be biased too. Certainly my opinion is that Canon and Nikon
are, at the moment, providing the best overall photographic performance in
DSLRs and the best price performance ratios. Tha doesn't meant they are the
best for any particular person, witness Phil A's chice of DSLR. Note that
dpreview's review of the S2 wasn't very favorable.

Moose

* And works for both camera and subject movement, not just camera movement.