[OM] Re: zuikos on canon EOS users, please write me

Subject: [OM] Re: zuikos on canon EOS users, please write me
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:44:12 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hey C.H.,
>
> I certainly didn't mean to upset you.

It is no problem, I like this kind of dicussion, I just want to emphasis my
point of why I just made a small degree of adjustment on the shot.

> For me, as I suspect for you, there is another category of pictures of
> friends and family at various gatherings. Most are snapshots, and a few
> better than that. Anyway, there is the people/memory aspect that I
> value. In the case of these shots I'm pretty shameless about adjusting
> them to get the shot I wanted, instead of the one I got. In this image
> of one of my nephews and his fairly new to him, and entirely new to me
> wife, they are ready for our sightseeing adventure. Fortunately, she got
> car sick and had to come up and sit next to the driver, me. With 8 of us
> in the car, it was pretty cozy - and she smelled better than the
> youngest nephew who had been sitting next to me before.  :-) ) Top is
> the original shot and bottom is Photoshopped; now which do you think I
> will send to them <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/IMG_1125combo.jpg>?
> They'll never notice the slight unreality, only that they look good. And
> it will be part of what may be their last memory of their grandmother.

Thanks for remind me that. Yes, I do take a lots family shots and some
company parties. For this kind of shots I don't mind to make bigger
adjustment to make it look good to the others.

> And that's generally what I do. It's also not all that uncommon for me
> to take a shot in one light while the vision in my head is of the same
> subject in a different light that won't be available while I and the
> subject are together, but that I can imagine there at a different time,
> or even season. In that case, I try to recreate what I saw in my mind
> when I took the picture. And I also sometimes play a bit with other
> shots to see what they might have looked like in different light.

That is not what I will do at this moment, I will just try to capture what
is there if the scene is interested to me. Otherwise one don't need to wait
and capture the moment, just combine one photo with the other will do. Some
enjoy spending the effort in PS and other enjoys the wait, just personal
preference.

>>I'm not experience in scenic but your adjustment doesn't look natural to
>>me
>>no matter it is morning or evening scene like this one:
>>
> Perhaps you can see what I was getting at when you see I thought the
> building faced East, thus early dawn light would softly illuminate the
> facade from the front.

Look carefully you will see the light source is from the front, the building
face should be backlite. Same for the other evening sample I posted, the
light is also from the front. Similar look sky is mostly (or only) seen when
you face the light soure in morning and evening.

> In any case, I wasn't trying to make it particularly realistic,
> especially the second one. I was following up on your comments about the
> wider range of exposure data available from RAW files and your comment
> about playing even with a JPEG, to make an example of how much detail
> that appears lost in shadows can be brought forward.

Ok, understand.

> Yes, I can see the separation of the last 2 boxes at either end, but we
> probably just have different tastes in tonalities. Also, now looking
> back at your original post, I see that the front of the building in
> PB-Mer is noticably darker than in PB-Org. I like the facade in PB-Org
> better, but its all a matter of taste and it's you image, so you get to
> decide. I only played with it to demonstrate pulling up low tones.

You are right, that is a matter of taste. I think it is related to my slide
shooting experience. The more dramatic the lighting the more beautiful the
scene, the shadow will appear very nice when projected. If viewing from
monitor with room light turns off it will give the same result.

C.H.Ling